I did it! The whole room is empty and clean. The before and after pictures are astonishing and awfully embarrassing:
Ok, let’s state the obvious: It’s embarrassing to share these before pictures!
In these days of impeccably perfect Instagram lives, I’m pretty sure this is the kind of thing you are supposed to hide and never expose on the internet. Eh. What’s the point of writing about any of this if I’m not showing my real life pictures? Surely I am not the only person out there with a problem room?
The most important thing is that I am addressing it. I’m not sure how it ever got so bad that literally every surface was piled up with junk but I’m not ever letting it get that way again.
What I accomplished so far:
- Moved all the items out of the room except the furniture (and a few desk items that are staying)
- Cleaned, dusted, wiped down all furniture
- Washed all linens and blankets
- Vacuumed every inch of the room including the headboard and mattress (used my Dyson attachments, so that’s what they’re for I guess!)
- Mopped twice: Once with vinegar and soap, once with Murphy’s and essential oil
Tomorrow it’s the worst of all the jobs — going through years of possessions and cutting it down by hopefully more than half (getting rid of 70% would be ideal!)
Happy and tired. Piles of guestroom stuff (visible in the background) have crept into the usually supertidy bedroom 🙁