The fact that I am writing this February round up on March 19th pretty much sums up my February. Here’s the headline: AND CHAOS ENSUED!
I was really doing great with all my goals and walking every day and keeping all my commitments until February 16th and then:
1) I went on vacation to Madrid.
2) While on vacation, I sprained my ankle.
3) On the plane ride home I began feeling a bit poorly. And then worse.
4) By the time I arrived back to my house I was in full thermonuclear flu meltdown AND
5) I somehow got bronchitis while fighting the flu.
YAY! BE EFFICIENT! Get all the things in one month!
I’m recovered now. I’m fine. I have only now resumed my almost-daily walks and my general health is almost back. One thing no one tells you is that when you get the flu (or are sick for any period of time) you get depressed. It spirals down into a dark place, friends, like the day I told Drew I wanted to know if my life had peaked and I just wanted to burn it all down and move to Mexico under an assumed name and never bother doing boring things like taxes and laundry ever again.
So it’s March and February is but a dark memory (thank the Lord) and the true test of me and my goals and my momentum is whether or not I give up OR if I pick up where I left off. I am choosing to pick up where I left off.
It’s going to take me a while to get back to my longer daily walks, my foot and ankle are still healing. But I’m going slow and making it happen. Today I did walk divided in two parts with a rest in between. And I’ve been making clothes like a crazy person, obsessed by cutting out dresses and sewing them up and wearing all my new stuff to work and stopping people in the hallway to proclaim, “I made this dress!”
We’re going on a super brief trip to London in a few weeks and my #1 top sightseeing location is the new Sew Over It shop on Essex Road where I plan to buy all the things. Between now and then my #1 goal is to make a Sew Over It dress (either the shift dress or a Heather Dress) that I can wear to the shop. Because obviously the best way to pay homage is by wearing their designs, right? Or I’ll end up tossed out for stalking, whatever, it should be a fun adventure.
• Bob and Frankie cost a small fortune at the vet this month, and even though I want to believe they are tiny baby kittens, they are turning 16 years on in May! Is that crazy or what!
• My poor plumbing karma continues on into this new year. Today I went to the hardware store at lunch to buy a TOILET AUGER, don’t envy my life too much, folks, that shade of green is not good on anyone. And I know you’ll be wishing you could have a live video feed of me at home this evening trying to wrestle that thing into my clogged downstairs bathroom. I feel like I just swapped car problems for plumbing problems but truth is, I used to have both, so this is … better?
• My work-life-balance thing is a little better these days. Part of that is thanks to getting so sick I couldn’t physically attend work and then I realized nothing broke or caught fire, so maybe the flu was useful after all.
I still do occasionally think about running away and resurfacing in Mexico or Europe under an assumed name but March has been a marked improvement over February and for that I am relieved.