- Today is The Captain’s birthday! I never really knew what it was like to be connected to another human being before I met him. He is my person. Tonight we have big plans to go to In-N-Out because we are quality individuals who enjoy only the best things in life. Happy birthday, babe!
- My Monday Motivation aspiration of last week went OK, though it was put to the test by our 36-hour Hackathon and the next three days of frantic catch up. I caught myself internally bemoaning my crushing busyness several times and changed my thoughts to happier subjects (“I’m healthy.” “I have a whole day of sewing coming up.” “My nail polish lasted longer than I expected.”)
- This week I am deliberately taking life at a more sustainable pace. It means I’ve had to push a few meetings, and I am going to say no to a project someone else wants me to do. It’s not easy for me to set these sorts of boundaries at work but I’m going to burn out if I don’t start creating space to breathe.
- It’s been good to recognize that creativity needs breathing room. Downtime is good for my brain! Is this why people meditate? Sewing all day was like a ten-hour meditation for me. I felt new afterwards.
- Drew said something yesterday on the phone that I thought was brilliant: “What’s the worst that could happen? Everything could fall apart and get even better.”
So it’s already almost the end of September and it feels like I am only now settling into 2017.
One thing I’m getting (slightly) better at is giving myself a break. I have been struggling with work-life balance for a while and instead of focusing on how much time has passed me by, I have decided to let all that go. The past is the past. There’s nothing I can do to change last year or last week, all I can do is make today good and happy and positive.
Today I will leave the office early because it’s Birthday O’Clock and I found my person and we both really like a double-double animal style. Everything else can wait. ♥